The year 2016 brought about a lot of change in my life and a lot of new experiences.
- I ran two half marathons; The Red Fern Half Marathon/13.1 miles in 1:54:59 and the Pumpkin Holler Hundred 25k/16.6 miles in 2:29:15. I have never considered myself a runner by any stretch of the imagination but this is a goal that I trained hard for in 2016 and I far exceeded my own expectations in both races and the training leading up to the races. I am now a runner and try to incorporate it into my weekly routine.
- I spent more time outdoors in 2016 doing the activities that I really enjoy than I have in any year previous or all previous years combined. I estimate that I spent more than 150 days outside doing some form of physical activity in 2016. Activities range from walking, running, hiking, backpacking, kayaking, biking, yard work, etc. I very much enjoyed being a weekend warrior this year and plan to have as many outdoor days in 2017 if not more.
- I lost 20-25 pounds and adopted a much healthier lifestyle and diet. I rarely drink pop, have completely kicked energy drinks, and I drink more water than I ever thought possible. I feel better and perform better at most everything I do.
I ripped off a goal-setting style for 2017 from the Mountain Meister podcast. They setup their goals on a 3 step system; the first is a goal that you can accomplish with little work and should be fairly simple to accomplish, the second is a 50/50 goal that you should be able to do in a perfect world, but you will still need to prepare and train and there is a chance you could still fail, and the third is the BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal). The BHAG is something that would require stars to align for you to accomplish it in addition to tons of practice and preparation. My goals are below:
- Read 10 books, cover to cover, in a year.
- Finish the 100 mile, Land Run, gravel bicycle race.
- Compete in an ultra-marathon.
What are your goals? I would love to hear about them in the comments, on Facebook, on Instagram or in an email.
Have a great 2017!